Remember a few weeks ago when I just gave up on having the nursery perfect before the baby arrives? Well that’s coming to bite me in the ass a bit. Our baby shower was last weekend and we had to get all the stuff out of the living room. Now I know just the other day I posted my plans for the nursery but until all that happens I had to make room. The boxes and my bump won’t get along too much longer. Cue “Operation Organizing Baby Items”.
Clothes & Shoes:
- Separated all the clothes by size. Newborn, 0-3M, 3-6M, 6-9M, 9M & up, accessories (hats, socks, hair bows), supplies (blankets, sheets, washcloths, towels)
- Store the clothes. Clothes that came on hangers I hung in her closet. Everything else I separated into gift bags for now and placed sticky notes with the size on the bags. You could also store the clothes in totes or baskets if available.
- Store the bags as you would your own clothes. If your store in your closet or basement store the baby clothes the same way. For larger sizes I would suggest placing cedar balls in the bags so moths don’t eat the clothes.
- As you get closer to the due date begin washing the smaller sizes. I suggest washing all newborn and 0-3M clothes.
- When you finally get around to purchasing a dresser or storage bins, store the clothes as normal but still by size.
- All of her shoes are in a box for now, I ran out of gift bags.
- Travel System – We’re leaving it on the first floor. It needs to be put together and it’s going to the car so it makes sense to me.
- Umbrella stroller – Storing in the coat closet for now. When she’s old enough to use it it’s going to the car. I would also suggest the basement but ours floods when it rains heavy and I would hate for the stroller to get destroyed.
- Playard – It’s going upstairs. It needs to be assembled and it’ll be in our room.
- Baby carrier – Storing in the downstairs closet. We actually received two so I may store the other in the trunk of the car.
- Diapers & wipes – Storing in the top of her closet.
- Bottle sterilizer – Storing in the pantry.
- Baby booster seat – Storing in the bottom of her closet.
- Bouncy seats – Storing in the bottom of her closet.
- Luckily there is a floating shelf on the wall in her room. I need to clear off a few of my books but her’s still fit. I also have a DIY project for book ends, stay tuned for that.
- It’s hanging in her closet for now. I removed all my bags from the hooks to make room for hers.
Other Odds & Ends:
- Bottles – They are still in the original packaging in a box in her room.
- NoseFrida – Still in the original package in a box in her room.
- Thermometer – Still in the original package in a box in her room.
- Nursing Pillow – Still in the original package in the bottom of her closet.
- Baby Tub – Still in the original package in the linen closet.
- Toys – Still in the original package in a box in her room.
Honestly, I can’t imagine I would have stored things much different if the nursery was complete. The clothes would have a better home for now but that’s just until I can make a Target run for totes. I would place the smaller sizes in the dresser. I do plan to put an additional bar in the closet and hang more items. Maybe a shelf for her shoes.
So off topic, B just walked in and said “I looked at the calendar before I left work, she’s due in 6 weeks!” That just sent my nerves into overdrive!
Back to the organization…So I don’t have a dresser or cute little storage bins just yet but I’ve found a place for all of her things for the time being. B agreed to let me roam freely on foot after 37 weeks so maybe a trip to Home Goods or Ikea can solve some storage issues.
If you Don’t Have a Room for Baby:
- Store items in clear storage bins with labels
- Ask for gift cards so you can buy what you need as you need it
- Don’t overstock on diapers and wipes, they aren’t going anywhere
- After assembly leave the stroller in the trunk. If you don’t have a car get a baby carrier and wear your baby.
- Buy eBooks instead of physical books
- Buy a folding tub and store under the bed when not in use
- Don’t go crazy buying toys
Let me know if you have any ideas for how to keep all these baby clothes in tact.